Monday, September 19, 2011

Avast! Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!


Ahoy ye landlubbers!  T'day we be celebratin' International Talk Like a Pirate Day.  We started out t'day by readin' "Jolly Roger and t' Pirates o' Captain Abdul" and then jumped starboard into Babblin' Abby's "Pirate Mark" unit. T' sprogs were shocked when Pirate Bert burst into t' classroom t' read them "How I Became a Pirate" and answer questions all about pirates and "how come he has a watch?" 

One skeptical "tiny teacher" said that "he must be real, 'cause Miss Dennis wouldn't invite a fake pirate to our classroom on Talk Like a Pirate Day" (love it!).

after we put "Pirate Mark" in our poetry notebooks, we added this little handprint swashbuckler to the left page!

Pirate Bert giving t' sprogs a chance to vote.

I love how they're so enthralled by him.  Little miss in the front couldn't contain herself!  ps: pay no attention to the fact that I haven't changed my calendar pieces yet... just got a mimio so I'm in the process of moving calendar to the whiteboard!

7 comments:

Abby said...

Love it! What a fun day!

Rachelle said...

How cute!!!!!!!! I love when I have to talk like a pirate when we're learn "ar". I love the costumes!!!
-Rachelle
whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Tessa said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun!
Tessa
Spotlight on Kindergarten

Malarie said...

Such a fun engaging lesson! I love the pirate hand print!!!

Also....... I am passing along the Liebster Blog Award to you!!! Congrats :)

www.youcanmakethesunshineanytime.blogspot.com

Stacy said...

Heyy! I teach 2nd grade as well and I LOVE your room and your pirate idea!! I am always looking for new "special days"...aren't we all. I am so glad I found your blog and cant wait to read more. I am following!


2nd Grade Paradise

Classroom Confetti said...

I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award over on my blog! :)

Classroom Confetti

Tried and True Reading said...

We used your idea and wrote some amazing stories at our school! Thank you!
Theresa
http://trifectabookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/09/we-r-off-to-great-start-this-year.html